Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flow net software

Status
Not open for further replies.

ac4u2nv

Geotechnical
May 30, 2013
GB
Dear all
Can anyone recommend a software which will model flow nets for me? Im trying to install a 30m diameter by 10m deep circular shaft into gravel and want to see the variation and direction of water flow.

thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

flow nets are typically derived in Cartesian coordinates. You are really working in radial coordinates. I'd just fire up Modflow, but that's not cheap and requires some context on how to drive the software.

Well equations will certainly give you a basis to evaluate yield, drawdown, area of influence, etc. I don't know the end-game for the OP. Clearly, we know the direction of flow. I guess if you know the shape of the drawdown curve, you'd know the stabilized position of the phreatic surface. From that, you could derive gradient.

I refer you to the following link to the USACE document, "Dewatering and Groundwater Control." There you will find equations for yield and drawdown for flow to wells for artesian and gravity conditions. Also for fully and partially penetrating wells. Find your boundary condition and use the equation accordingly. Base the value, "R" on the grain-size correlation to permeability.

You will obtain yield and drawdown once you know the distance to zero drawdown.

f-d

ípapß gordo ainÆt no madre flaca!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back