Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flow Rate of Viscous Fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.

curvyrace

Mechanical
Apr 27, 2007
US
Being new to working with highly viscous fluids, like ISO 680 lube oil, I don't have any experience doing flow and loss calculations with viscous fluids. Can anybody recommend a good reference for me to use for general applications? Right now I'm trying to estimate the flow rate of a freely flowing viscous fluid down an inclined plane. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A good theoretical reference is Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot.

A practical reference is Crane Technical Paper 410. Notice I did not say it was a good practical reference. It is an excellent practical reference for turbulent flow/low viscosity fluids, but it covers only the basics for viscous flow.

I'm not sure there is a single good practical reference for laminar flow/high viscosity.

Good luck,
Latexman

Correction - I'm not sure there is a single good practical reference for Newtonian laminar flow/high viscosity. For non-Newtonian laminar flow/high viscosity, try Skelland.

Good luck,
Latexman

Thanks latexman! Through further research I found pretty much what you stated; there are no good practical references to my problem because of the higher order derivatives involved in solving the problem. I've purchased Crane 410 and it does look like a good reference for low viscosity pipe flow. I'm going to check out the other references you mentioned as well. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back