Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

flow through orifice

Status
Not open for further replies.

asghar

Chemical
Oct 18, 2001
Can someone tell me, the gas flow volume through an orifice, calculated from the common formula given by different vendors, is at upstream pressure or downstream pressure?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I came up with the 667 scfm the following formula. I believe this volume is at set pressure of 275 and not at downstream pressure (atmospheric). The constants and factors I used from Anderson Greenwood catalog. Am I right in my assumption that the volume is at set point??

A = Area of Orifice 0.134 Sqr. Inch
F = Factor 6.32
M = Molicular Weight of N. Gas 17.4
T = Temperature, oR, (oF+460) 560
Z = Compressibility Factor 0.97
C = Gas Constant 344
K = Valve Constant 0.878
k = Specific Heat Ratio 1.27
Kb = Back Press. Correction Factor 0.8
Ps = Set Pressure, psig 275
Po = Over Pressure of Set Press. 0.1
Pa = Atmospheric Pressure, psia 14.7
P2 = Back Pressure, psig
P = Pressure absolute 317.2

A = V x MTZ / FCKPKb

V = Flow Rate, SCFM 667

You are likely to get better responses to your question if you post in a more suitable group, e.g. fluid mechanics.

M

--
Dr Michael F Platten

asghar,

this appears to be a restriction orifice or possibly a relief valve as no d/p is provided, and there are curious mentions of a "valve constant" and a back pressure correction factor.

on closer study. you are dealing with a relief valve.

case in point, the "pressure absolute" = the set pressure + 10% + 14.7 psia.

just follow the instructions in the AG sizing manual. It is very clear. You will also find excellent engineering support from the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back