Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flow thru holes drilled CPVC pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimsan

Mechanical
Jun 3, 2002
US
I have a 2" CPVC Pipe with 30psi water at ambient, I would like the pipe to sprinkle the water in various directions by drilling small holes in the pipe (1/8 - 3/8" dia?). Is there a relatively easy method to determine how many of what size hole would give me a certain capacity of flow.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

kimsan-

Have you considered going to a hardware store, spending $15 on a 2" pvc end cap, pipe, 2" x 3/4" reducer, a 3/4" pipe and 3/4" garden hose thread connector, and building a mock-up in your backyard? It may not be a textbook approach, but it's guaranteed to work. You'll have to control your household water pressure (usually 40 to 80 psi) or make some adjustments to your results to bring them down to 30 psi.

jt

Obtain a reference for the design of septic systems and look at the section on pressure dose piping. A good reference is the EPA design manual for onsite septic systems.

Alternatively, you can calculate the flow out of each hole as follows:

Q = Cd * A * SQRT(2*g*h)

where:

Q = cubic feet per second (CFS= gpm/448.8)
Cd = coefficient of discharge (normally used is 0.61)
A = area of hole in square feet
g = gravity 32.2 ft/sec^2
h = head of water in ft (ft = psi*2.31)

The problem is if you have multiple holes along the length of the pipe, the flow rate will vary along the length of the pipe as a function of how much water and pressure are in the pipe. Normally, you want to limit the headloss in the pipe to 10% or less of headloss across the hole for relatively equal distribution.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back