Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flow Works/Flow Simulation error: fluid region not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKWong

Mechanical
Dec 22, 2010
US
thread1183-200037

I recently searched for postings on a Flow Simulation/COSMOS Flow Works error: "Face <1>@Lid-1 is not laying on the boundary between solid and fluid region" as I was having the same problem.

I got it to work by suppressing parts one-by-one and plugging the openings with lids until Flow Simulation worked, and found that the error arose (in my case) due to 0.003-in gaps that I put in between my valve components.

My main reference was the "SolidWorks Flow Simulation 2010 Tutorial", under the example "Determination of Hydraulic Loss":

"To ensure the model is fully closed click Flow Simulation, Tools, Check Geometry. Then click Check to calculate the fluid and solid volumes of the model. If the fluid volume is equal to zero, the model is not closed."

"Click Fluid Volume to see the volume that will be occupied by fluid in the analysis." (If successful the fluid volume turns dark-blue.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back