Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

flowability of CLSM 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

shm

Materials
Apr 26, 2001
MA
hello everyone, it is the first time I take part in this forum and really don't know how it should be, but anyway I will put my question. so my question is: is there somebody here who has an idea about how to test the flowability of CLSM (CONTROLED LOW STRENGTH MATERIALS) especially those which do not contain additives (les non-essorable)(those which have a water content very high with an aim of reaching their flowability).I had tried to test that with the slump test but that didn't lead to results significant.
thanks in advance for your answers.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are two ways to check. Use the mortar flow cone test for low flowability materials or use a viscosimeter for high flowability materials.

You can also control variability by use of unit weights, much like you would for flowable grouts.

Ron

Testing of CLSM is still evolving. The current US procedure is ASTM D6103, FLOW CONSISTANCY OF CLSM. The procedure is limited to 'flowable' mixtures, with 3/4" (19mm) maximum aggregate size, which can be accomplished by wet sieving. The principal apparatus is a 'Flow Cylinder' which is a 6" (150mm) length of 3" (76mm) diameterstraight, rigid tubing.
The basics of the test is the 'Flow Cylinder' is placed upright on a large, flat, nonporous surface. The upright 'Flow Cylinder' is filled with CLSM in a 'rapid, efficient manner'and struck off level at the tube top.
Raise the 'Flow Cylinder' at least 6" (15cm) vertically, with a steady upward lift, taking 2 to 4 seconds to lift.
Complete the entire test within 1-1/2 minutes.
Measure the largest resulting spread diameter of the CLSM. Take 2 measurements of the diameter perpendicular to each other.

Now that sounds exciting!!

Of possible interest to you, I just found a related article in the most recent ACI Materials Journal, March-April 2001 (Vol. 98 #2) Effects of Prolonged Mixing and Retempering on Properties of CLSM.
Happy Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back