Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Flowmeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

harlequinir

Chemical
Oct 23, 2003
US
I have a 60-liter plating tank that I want to monitor the agitation rate somehow. The mixer is a small vertical pump just above the liquid level. A sparger bar is immersed in the tank as well as all the 1/2" plumbing (therfore no priming). The solution temperature is 185F, and the pump rate is 3-8 liters per minute. I want to keep it at 5.0+/-0.5 LPM.

All flowmeters I see are limited because they either can't take the temperature, have metal components (I cant have metal contacting the liquid) or require rerouting the piping above the liquid level. I think the latter is my only choice. Ideally, a small open channel meter or submersible in-line can do the job -but I cannot find any. I dont necessarily need to know the flow rate coming out of the pump; what is more important is really the agitation in the tank.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The firs consideration is it is a agitation problem not a flow problem.

As the liquid shall be at a constant temperature , and it's density and viscosity too , maybe yo can put an all plastic ball valve to regulated the flow .
I know ball valves are not considerated a flow regulator, but as it will be at fixed rate , I seem it will work.
Other fact is to put a plastic plate with a calibrated hole between two flange or double union .
You beging with a small hole and wide it up until you reach the desirable flow.

Hope you understood it .

Pardal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back