Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fluctuations in pressure gauge calibrations? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipocoyo

Mechanical
Apr 17, 2016
AU
Hello All,

Another observation that I am rather curious about. Is there a reason why pressure gauges in particular tend to have fluctuated readings between calibrations? For example, the first calibration would have readings of 0,30, and 60 Pa. The next year it would be 0, 32, and 62 Pa. The next successive calibration would show 0, 30, and 54 Pa.

Also, is there a particular reason why pressure gauges tend to drift more at higher pressures? For example, I have a differential pressure gauge (0-60Pa) which seems to have have an accuracy of 0% at test points 0 and 30Pa. However, when testing at 60Pa (max range) the needle seems to be showing at 55 Pa instead of 60Pa. I've noticed this trend happening with a few other gauges as well.

Still an intern

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I assume the units are kPa, not pa, correct?

What is the maximum range/number on the gauge dial? 100 Kpa?

Is there a zero adjustment screw on it somewhere?

Are it a liquid filled gauge?

Compositepro said:
Is it standard practice to tap pressure gauges during calibration checks?
That depends.
ashcroft-pressure-test-gauge-45-1082AS-02B-300__59903.1490043613.690.588_mc9erv.png

-OR-
4FLU1_AS02_ccozcq.jpg

Brad Waybright

It's all okay as long as it's okay.

compositepro said:
Is it standard practice to tap pressure gauges during calibration checks?

Yes, tapping the case is standard practice.

ASME B40.100-2005 Pressure Gauges and Gauge Attachments, in Section 6.2.4 Procedures allows tapping the gauge case lightly as part of the defined tests for accuracy, repeatability and hysteresis.

Tapping_the_gauge_as_part_of_the_procedure_1_zujjmy.jpg

Tapping_the_gauge_as_part_of_the_procedure_2_pxjaih.jpg

Hi All,

Sorry, I should have specified! The gauge itself is a room differential pressure gauge.The instrument itself has an accuracy of 0% at test points 0 and 30 Pa. However, it seems to be out of tolerance by 5Pa at its maximum pressure of 60 Pa. The differential room pressure never exceeds 20Pa and the gauge itself is only about 5 years old. Sorry for the confusion.

Still an intern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back