Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flux-electrode combination classified in the as-welded condition, be qualified in a PQR with PWHT

Status
Not open for further replies.

4glennb

Industrial
Jun 5, 2003
CA
Sorry for the long subject title.
I have a vessel that will require PWHT. We we're going to use a current Sub-Arc wire/Flux WPS with a classification of F7A2EM12K. We ran a PQR, PWHT the coupon and the coupon passed with no issues using the wire classified as F7A2-EM12K.

Would I simply classify the PQR as F7P2-EM12K?

When I look through the ASME Section IX I don't see any issues in doing this but I am worried about the original AWS classification. There is an interpretation from the ASME Section IX committee but the question asked was somewhat vague. Is there something that I'm missing?

Thanks
Glenn

(BPV IX-17-11)
Question: May a flux-electrode combination classified in the
as-welded condition, be qualified in a PQR with PWHT,
under Section IX rules?
Reply: Yes.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The filler metal can only be classified by what the manufacturer classifies it as. If you test it in a different condition, that is not prohibited by ASME IX or a construction code that I know about, but that doesn't change the classification. So your PQR would just record the classification with F7A2. A lot of our customers prohibit this practice, but ASME does not. The interpretation seems to be address just what you are asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back