Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

flywheel bearing on an industrial / marine engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivymike

Mechanical
Nov 9, 2000
US
I was asked today to provide some information about the "flywheel bearings" used on a particular industrial/marine engine. The customer wants to know the size/material/type for the engine bearings (main/thrust/rod/pin) and in th.e same list he includes "flywheel bearings." Later he asks whether the flywheel bearings are "manual" or "air jack."

The only kind of flywheel bearing I can recall seeing is the pilot bearing used at the rear/center of the flywheel to locate the transmission shaft when a clutch is used. We don't have any of those in our flywheels. I don't know what "manual" and "air jack" would mean in that context, either, unless they're removal methods for the bearings (and even then air seems an odd method vs. hydraulic)... anyone familiar with what this guy is after?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have never heard this terminology before, and I also thought of pilot bearings when I first read this. The only alternative I can possibly think of is a clutch throw-out bearing, but they're usually activated either mechanically or hydraulically. I've never heard of a pneumatic throw-out bearing. I've also never heard of industrial/marine engines using automotive-type clutches, but I admit that I know very little about either application. Please post a follow up if you get a chance, as I'm curious about this.

Could he actually mean "flywheel barring"?, then the rest of the question would make more sense, since some larger engines have a choice between a manually operated or an electric/air/hydraulic barring motor.

Mike L.

well that'd be okay except he wanted to know the material of the "flywheel bearing" and included it on the list with the other engine bearings. Perhaps he meant "bearing" in one place and "barring" in another - that's a possibility too. Obviously I'll have to go back for clarification. I had sort-of hoped that someone would come along and say "well on such-and-such engines used in ships, the flywheel was separately supported on bearings, and needed to be moved around occasionally for alignment purposes" (but I've never heard of such a thing, except the separately-supported flywheels on a steam donkey)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back