Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FMEA for Aceptance Sampling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid89

Mechanical
Sep 14, 2019
US
Hi,
I am trying to develop FMEA for not inspecting parts per acceptance sampling standard. Any input or reference document will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, but FMEA is also for analyzing possible failures and risks associated with them. I am trying to analyze what possible failures can be there when sampling plans for inspection are not followed/implemented?

My understanding of FMEA is that it looks for individual potential defects, and possibly interactions between defects, and what happens as a result of them; it seems like this effort is more looking at the probability and distribution being shifted by shifting the probability of detecting defects.

FMEA is mostly large sections of "Really Bad", "Not Too Bad", and the desireable "We Can Live With It" for defect outcome classification.

So, you need to understand what defects are coming in and then the probability inspection will fail to catch them and then what the probability those evasive defects will cause a noticeable problem or failure. That part is really no different than any sampled inspection process; even 100% inspection can fail to notice problems.

I will say that typical inspection plans are designed to have a really good chance of detecting defects (they should specify the minimum defect rate they can find.) Going below them is a bad idea without starting to make that evaluation.

This is a two-layer analysis.

Layer two is a process FMEA.

For this item, the Failure Mode is "Sampling inspections not performed according to procedure." The effect of this failure is "An unknown quantity of defective product could be shipped."

There, that's done.

Layer one is your design and validation FMEA.

What product failure modes are mitigated only by the sampling inspection? What are the effects of those failure modes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back