Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FO-3015 Pierce Problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanjasper

Materials
Oct 18, 2011
US
I can't seemed to get my pierce point to cut correctly on a FO-3015 laser. I am trying to cut HRS0.75 material and when it pierces it blows the holes out and doesn't cut all the way through the material. My starting point for my pierce is: Prw. 4000 IntFreq 16 Intduty 16 IncFrq 5 incduty 1 step time .8 step cnt 18 pierce time 30 gas pressure .05 gas kind 1 gas time 5 nozzle gap .0800 focal point .079 pulse type 85. I am using a WACS head to cut this material with a 3.0 tip. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your very close. The place i would start now is the focus. Move it up and down by 0.04" (1mm) and see what changes.

The nozzle gap is a bit small I would recommend 0.150" at lease, may be 0.200"

Pulse type concerns me a bit. It depends on what type of A/O you have. The blue one, piezoelectric, 85 is good, newer style, pneumatic. I would go 40~45.

Last idea i would like to share. You have to break up the pierce into three sections, beginning, middle and end. If the blow out happens in the first 5 seconds, your initial settings are too high. If it blows out from 5-20 seconds, your step increments are too fast. Lengthen the step time. If it blows out at the end, you have too many steps or your not getting through the material before you start to cut. Extend the pierce time. 30 ~ 40 seconds is still respectable for this style pierce.

Thanks Laserninja I have tweak the setting you recommended and now my cut is cleaner with smoother edges. I actually set my gap to .1500 and move my time down to 25, intfreq to 14 and changed my tip to 2.5 double. One other thing the matrix calls for a pierce point M103A3 and M105x y , what I was wondering is how is that set up in the code? Right now I am using only the M103A3 part of the pierce. Here is an example of the code with both pieces of code using NC code,
N120 M103A3
N121 M105X Y
Is this the way it should be set up?
Again thanks a million
Stan

Stan,

I'm a little embarrassed about all the grammatical errors in my last post. Please excuse me. I was working off my phone sometimes those damn little keys... and the little font... and well... whatever other excuses I can come up with...

The "A3" is a different style pierce than we talked about before. It is used to blast a super large hold in the steel before you start cutting. It works well but is only for applications where you can put a lead in line the length of the material thickness (approximately). If you chose to go that route, you need to make your settings for it on the bottom line of your pierce page "103". Go full power full freq and full duty. Also, for this one, you should really use 0.200" for you nozzle gap. And yes, you need to use the M105 for this style pierce. The M103A3 turns the height sensor off during the routine and you need the M105 to turn it back on. Further more, the x and y after the M105 describes you lead in length. If you look at a normal program, you see the traverse move, G00X41.0000Y27.2936, then you see the pierce, M103, then you see the lead in, G01X41.5000Y27.2936. Then after that you may have more G01 or G02,G03 etc... The idea, in this example the difference between the G00 and the G01 positions is your lead in. The new program looks like:

M100
M102
E4
G00X41.000Y27.2936
M103A3
M105X41.5000Y27.2936
G01....
G02....

Now that's the right way to do it. If you want to cheat, I have seen people put a B0.05 right after the A3. It doesn't look as cool but at least the height sensor gets turned back on.

A quick and dirty test to benchmark is a hole and square program.

G112X0.0Y0.0I1.0A3
G111X0.0Y0.0I2.8A3

In this example, the M105 is built into the G112 and G111 macro. This will give you an idea of what the correct set up should look like when its cutting.

P.S. This may be tacky, but we live in a capitalist society. As much as I would like to, I can not solicit my services on this forum so at least give me a fuchsia star if you find my comments helpful.

Thanks LASERNINJA
I will see what happens with your advice. Laser operation is a little different than IT however I always welcome a challenge and thanks to the people here at Eng-tips it makes my challenge a lot easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back