Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FOAM COMPRESSION STRENGTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREERAAM

Mechanical
Feb 23, 2015
IN
Hai,

I have to carry the compression strength test for the Polyurethane foam. my doubt is deformation @ yield point means strain @ yield point? how to calculate it?

How to choose the load for the foam testing standard is ASTM D 1621:00

REGARDS,

G.SRIRAM.

Dream,Dream,Dream Dream transforms in to thoughts.And thoughts result in action

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Additional information

This test should be performed on a minimum of five specimens for each sample at a minimum height of 1 inch each. Start the crosshead with a rate of displacement of 2.5 to 0.25 mm [0.1 to 0.01 in.]/min for each 25.4 mm [1 in.] of specimen thickness. Continue until the specimen hits a yield point or until it has been compressed approximately 13% of the original thickness, whichever occurs first.

How to know the yield point of the foam? and the 13% we can calculate but how to select the load for the 13% of the original thickness to compress?

REGARDS,

G.SRIRAM.

There will be a sudden change in slope of load vs deformation if the foam reaches the yield point.
The load required is dependent on the area of the sample and on the particular sample. There should be some data available on the foam to tell the expected characteristic.

The translation dictionary you use is wrong:
Doubt = I believe this is wrong and am uncertain.
Question = I wonder why this happens.

3DDave

Thanks for the reply correction of my translation

My Software generating graph load vs deflection so deflection = deformation? How to calculate the load required to compress?

i am attached here one of the same test which was done in laboratory for your reference same test i want to do it in myself in lab.

REGARDS,

G.SRIRAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back