Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Foam Proportioners

Status
Not open for further replies.

joisy

Chemical
Feb 6, 2003
US
At our plant we used previously Fluorprotein Foam concentrate (CRODA) and we gonna change it over with AFFF. How do you think if it can cause a problem at the foam/water solution makers (the same concentration of foam concentrate & water - 3%)

thanks,
Joisy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would contact your supplier or consult the date sheet for the new material. If in the US this information, storage, is required to be given.
I wasn't privy to the details but our company had problem when they changed foamers. The existing CS tanks had to be replaced with SS and if I remember correctly it had to be 316 SS. The new material 100% was OK in steel shipping drums but SS was required when stored in an open tank.

Well, I do not presume any problems with storage as the current foam(er) is more corrosive than one it's to be used.

I mean operational problems with the foam/water proportioning devices?!

We had a number of Foam Houses around the site where the storage tanks were a problem.
If the foam is made to some standard it's compatibility should be in a class or on the proportioner’s manufacturer's list of compatibility. Just to be on the safe side I would check with the foam manufacturer and the proportioner's manufacturer for compatibility.

Yes, we did have a problem with mixers about 25 years ago with an oil fire on a 3 acre settling/separation pond where the Navy sent out several drums of foam to assist us that didn't work well with our equipment. They had to send one of their trucks. I know no details of the materials used.

joisy:

Good question. I recently constructed a tank farm with a complete fire fighting system and we utilized plastic tanks because of the AFFF corrosivity problem. Unclesyd is right, you should check. CS tanks are not recommended for long term storage because of the airspace over the solution. If I were changing concentrates I would have this question too and if it was not readily answered by the vendor, with technical backup, not just his word over lunch, then I would require a performance test with the existing proportioners to be certain. Actually, this should be readily answerable by either the foam vendor or the original proportioner vendor, one of the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back