Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

FOLDERS OPENING UP ( VERY ANNOING)

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrzej01

Mechanical
Apr 8, 2003
US
I do love SW , I work with 2003 version but I need some help on that one.
My assemblies have aproximatelly 300 part so I group parts and put them in separated folders and close them up so I can "see" the whole assy in the tree.
Now when I start doing anything with my assy , all of the sudden some folders open.
Is there any way to keep them kind of locked so when I work on a prticular part they stay closed or at least only the one with the editing part opens.
Please help.
Andrzej

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tick, you are really fast.
I just posted that thread and here we go Tick is right there.
I watch this forum a lot , trying to learn SW.
My hat off to Tick and SBaugh, there are always there to help.
Anyway, I checked the thread, CTR+Q doesn't work in my case.
Andrzej

Thank you Andrzej!

IMHO Folders are not ready for production use still. They are nice when trying to organize your features, but they still need some work done to them. I don't know how to get around your problem of the folders opening up. I have tried several things including what I listed in the previous post, but I have not seen this happen to me often and if it does I do like I posted before. Close the folder and click Ctrl-Q till it stops opening.

If you any in-contexted features in those folders I suppose that could be causing it, but I'm just taking a shot in the dark on that.

If i hear of a fix I will let you know!

Best Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP[wiggle][alien]
3DVision Technologies
faq731-376
When in doubt, always check the help

I would like to know what's behind this problem. I use folders, and I don't have this problem. I've tried to make it happen, but I can't.

Using SW2003 SP3.1 on Win2K.

[bat]I may make you feel, but I can't make you think.[bat]

Thank you guys.
I guess maybe next release will improve it.
The Tick, I don't do anything weird.
I start my assy, top bottom design, create my part, brake all references to "free" them and then put them into separated folders.
CTR+Q nand CTR+B does not fix it.
Folders keep opening.
It's not the worst thing that could be so I will live with that.
Thanks again.
Andrzej

I'm sure you didn't do anything weird. I don't know how, but somehow, someway, there is something different.

I had a similar issue with SW Explorer, where it would open minimized on my terminal but not on any others.

You know you should contact your VAR and not only send him your file or files but send him your settings as well. You can do that by going to Start\Programs\Solidworks\Solidworks Tool\Copy options Wizard. Have them try your file or files with your settings and see if he sees the same thing.

You and everyone should take full advantage of your VAR Support. I know the people that I deal with every day contact me often with problems, some easy some not so easy, but they use the support to their advantage like everyone should.

[cheers],

Scott Baugh, CSWP[wiggle][alien]
3DVision Technologies
faq731-376
When in doubt, always check the help

andrezej01,

I do not use folders much, mainly for holes using sketch driven patterns. However, just because I was interested in your problem I took one of my assemblies and grouped parts into folders saving and rebuilding after each one. After the creation of the third folder, the first two expand everytime I save or rebuild and I tried using Ctrl-Q about a dozen times with no effect. Tomorrow if I get time, I will delete the third folder and see if the first two go back to not expanding when saved. Very curious bug indeed!

Regg [smile]

andrzej01,

Sorry for spelling your handle incorrectly in the previous post.

I tried deleting the folders in reverse order this morning without success. Everytime I rebuilt or saved, they would open back up. I saved a copy so I called my assembly back up and then deleted the offending folders and recreated them. Now they do not open when I save or rebuild. This my be a work around for you.

Regg [smile]

Regg,
I believe it's working what you described but... with the big assys like I have I wouldn't take a risk of creating a copy, it would sit on the network and you know there is always a chance someone pick the wrong one etc.
Unless I didn't understand exactly what you did.
Don't worry about spelling my name, I am polish 100% and always have people wondering about my first or even better last name which is Borysewicz :)
Andrzej

I did not read the whole post so sorry if I am echoing anybody. We received a SPR for folders expanding upon opening and assembly and also when doing a rebuild. This does not happen with all assemblies but we have experienced it on large and small.

BBJT CSWP

andrzej01,

I only made a copy so I could call it back up in its original state and play with it again trying different ideas. In the end, I just deleted the expanding folders and recreated them on the original. After I was satisfied they did not expand anymore, I deleted my copy so I would not have the problem you described. Sorry for the confusion.

Regg [smile]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back