Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folding Blueprints

Status
Not open for further replies.

CScottFlanagan

Structural
Jun 26, 2002
US
This is WAY off subjet, but...
We fold a lot of blueprints and technical cut-sheets for incorporation into 3-ring binders. This means the documents get 3 holes punched in the margins.
Some years back, I saw some instructions on the best way to fold large print media (24"x36" and 30"x42" and other sizes) so that they would fit in the binder and would look presentable.
Any help would be appreciated. My binders look like they were made in kindergarten, and take way too long to produce! There's always a "trick of the trade"!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Okay, on 24X36, I would fold them in half of the 36-inch direction with print face inward. Then fold them at 1/4 point with print face outside. Last fold the 24-inch side in half. This will give you a neat size that can be filed.

Good luck

Believe it or not but there use to be an Australian Standard (back in the 70s) on folding large sheets for storage purposes. It works fairly well with most sheet sizes. The following is a general description of how it is done.

1. get a page of the final size needed as a guage.
2. fold the top edge of your large sheet down to match the height of the guage.
3. flip the sheet so that the bottom face is now facing up and the fold is at near you.
4. fold the top edge of the bottom face down to meet the first fold.
5. you should now have a folded page that matches the height of the guage.
6. fold the left hand side of the folded sheet to match the width of the guage.
7. flip the page over horizontally so the the fold is now on the right.
8. fold the long tail over to the right leaving only enough edge on the left that can be hole punched and reinforced for insertion.
9. concertina the remaining length fo sheet so that the title (if its in the bottom right) is showing.

good luck

regards
sc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back