Footing Cracking Condition (ACI 318)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngrJS1

Civil/Environmental
May 1, 2022
PH
Hi,

ACI 318-14 Clause No. 24.3.2 provides the maximum spacing in preventing cracks. Does this ACI provision used in designing the reinforcements of footings? If not, can somebody please explain.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure what the clause is about. Is the 'maximum spacing' to do with joints or reinforcement? If you are talking about strip footings, think about it. Would a transverse crack in a strip footing matter.

Yes, if the foundation element is acting/designed as a oneway beam, or slab. The goal is to minimize the potential cracks and crack width for durability.

I wasn't able to add. I am designing isolated square footings. Does the aforementioned provision still apply to this foundation type?

Yes, the footing pad is dominated by one-way action. The older ACI even requires a certain amount of calculated reinforcement to be provided in the middle half to relieve the anticipated high stress in that region.

My points,

- Table 24.3.2 is for Maximum (spacing of bonded reinforcement in nonprestressed and Class C prestressed one-way slabs and beams )

- When the basic formula ,( 15 * (40,000/ fs) - 2.5 Cc ) is checked for fs=40,000 psi ( for Grade 60 reinforcement ) and Cc =3 in. the max. spacing would be 15- 2.5*3= 7.5 in.

- The Clause No. 24.3.2 should be used for beams and one way slabs..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back