Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Footing Gapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoGeoGeo

Geotechnical
May 10, 2022
ES
I am a modelling with a 3D numerical model a footing in which in on one of the load combinations and due to the high moment it has one of the sides in tension and therefore the footing separates from the ground (Gapping).

Of course that this could be mitigated by having higher vertical loads, bigger footing, anchors etc..

However my question is why if I increase the stiffness of the soil in which the footing is resisting the gapping area also increases ? Any explanation ? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The soil is stronger and less contact area with the soil is needed to support the load being applied. Your axial pressure is probably relatively high in relation to the overturning pressure.
The increased soil pressure may also be reducing the eccentricity, since higher soil bearing pressure may be more concentrated near the applied load. You have to check for changes to the distribution of pressure, eccentricity and resulting downward displacements.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back