Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

for help on Transformer Voltage question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenda

Electrical
Feb 8, 2007
CN
Hello Any expert on transformer:
if I just want the default voltage for a transformer
which exact voltage does it mean to ?
since there as I know many voltage parameter for a transformer.
Thanks.

We are always available to help each other.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your question is SoooOOOOooo vague it is hard to answer.

You have the primary voltage on the side you're feeding power to it on, and you have the secondary voltage that the primary voltage is being converted too.

There are thousands of different transformers that have every imaginable primary and secondary voltage.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

Oh ,SoooooOOOOooo quick reply that I never expected .
Thanks a million! ^_^
but here in my company,the Logistic department just want one voltage parameter to fill in the custom file to ship out.
They would not care what is the the voltage (which they just want the value with the unit "V" ) ,they even would not care what the transformer is.they just give me a SAP PN.

By the way I am not asking for the value,
I think now the default voltage is the operational rated voltage in the primary side and secondary side.
but I am still not sure.

120/240V

("210, 212, whatever works...")

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

It's not clear what you're asking. If I take a guess, it sounds like your logistics department has a database of parts and they have different fields to fill in, one of which is "Default Voltage".

I've run into cases before where the database fields don't apply to all the items that are to be entered. In the case of a transformer, you can't characterize it by a single voltage. If it's a field that must be entered, then your company's procedures should document what that number should be. If there's no internal procedure (sounds like this may be the case), then that field will be useless.

Of course, if I'm completely misinterpreting the question, then please make it more clear what you have been given and what you are looking for.

Thanks macgyvers2000& geekEE
actually the logistic dep. asked me the exact value of some transformer according to the part number they gave me ,
while here now in ENG-TIP ,I just want to know some further knowledge about the transformer voltage.
as far as I know ,normally the transformer is customer-made part,there should exist some spec. in my company ERP system which would show the operational characteristic parameter,while the problem is I can not reach them now .
Usually we say the transformer voltage,does that means both the rated input voltage and output voltage ?
English is not my mother langusge ,so maybe I express in a not-clear-enough way. :(

Fenda; The basics of a transformer are as previously mentioned; Primary Voltage, Secondary Voltage, and the power rating,(Watts), or more commonly called the VA or kVA rating. This last relates directly to the transformer's physical size.

These THREE aspects would greatly improve your classification.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

Fenda,
I'm still not sure what you're asking for. If all you have is an internal SAP part and you don't have access to your company's ERP system to look up anything, then I don't see what you want to find. If you have more information, I haven't seen it.

Is the logistics department trying to find complete specifications so that they can find a substitute transformer? Or are they just trying to enter specifications into the ERP system?

geekEE ,thanks a gain for your ebullience.
here is my company,the ERP is the very SAP,and the logistic give me the SAP number and I can find out in SAP what the component is ,the SAP is open to all the staff here.There I know it is a transformer,and usually for a transformer we would have a spec. enclosed in SAP also,but this time they gave me ones that I could not find any spec.for ,so that is the problem for me ,though I got the manufacruer and the manufacturer part number,but as you know ,the transformers are seldom in the common basket by the manufacturer.therefore nothing could I find in the vendor`s website as the catalogue ones such as resistor or capacitor from Murata or Fairchild.
I know there are so many characteristics for a transformer,so could someone suggest some website for me for further knowledge,that would be very appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back