Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

For Recent FE/EIT takers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonstone

Civil/Environmental
Oct 29, 2004
US
For those who took the FE exam last year, what was the format of the exam? Do they ask multiple questions based on one figure. For example do you see something like - Questions 20-25 are based on the following equation, or figure, etc?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just out of curiosity, why does it matter if multiple questions are based on one figure?

Hg

Eng-Tips guidelines: faq731-376

When I took the FE (2001…I know that’s not that last year) most of the afternoon session questions were multiple and based on one figure like you say.

Hg, that matters because the multiple questions based on one figure are typically all interrelated, i.e., you will need the answer from the first question to answer the next. So, if you miss the first question in the group, you could possibly miss the next 3 or 4.

Thankyou for ur replies. I took the FE on 16th. The format has changed now. They did have interrelated questions in the afternoon session, but, not more than 2 interrelated ones. The afternoon session was not very easy I must say. I had a tough time solving the problems.

It's possible to have multiple questions about a single figure without the questions being interrelated, so I decided that wasn't what the poster was asking about...I'm too literal-minded.

Hg

Eng-Tips guidelines: faq731-376

Don't worry Moonstone - I took the General section in the afternoon (hoping it would be kind to me) and it was still pretty rough. I did hear that a passing score is a 70, although I'm pretty sure they did some weird statistics to it so it's not a true 70 or a %70.

Best wishes for your score in 10 weeks...

In my experience of taking any standardized exams like EIT, PE, SE, etc, if there were any "inter-related" multiple choice questions, the follow up questions would start like "assuming that solution to problem X is Y" followed by the next question. You do not have to worry about getting the first question in the series wrong and all subsequent questions in correct accordingly.

For those who took the FE last week (4/16/05) do you think you passed? Also do you think that 60-65 correct answers in the morning and 20 in the afternoon is enough to pass?
Thanks

Murat1, the passing grade for the FE exam was established by using a scaled score system. A scaled score of 70 is the passing grade, and this usually corresponds to getting about 50% of the questions right. Obviously, the questions in the afternoon session carry twice the weight of the quesions asked in the morning session. If you got 60-65 of the morning questions right, and 20 right in the afternoon session, then you clearly passed the exam.

Maui

I may have passed...maybe - I think there were around %15 of questions I had to outright guess on though. I could usually eliminate one of the four choices, but beyond that was stumped. They really get you with the time crunch, even at four hours per section.

Sorry Murat1, but I don't know. That's what...%50 correct in the morning and %30 in the afternoon? I know they do some voodoo math to determine the passing score, but no clue beyond that.

Back to topic - All the interrelated questions I recall were only related to a common system, not dependent upon prior answers.

Murat1;
In reading your post and Maui's response, I am not sure that you passed. From what I know, there are 120 questions in the AM session, and 60 questions in the afternoon session (unless they changed the format again).

If you refer to 60-65/120 correct responses in the AM and only 20/60 correct responses in the PM, this will be too close to call. Both the AM and PM sessions are equally weighted. If you had 80/120 in the AM and still got only 20/60 in the PM session, I would say you would pass.

The 70 refers to a scaled score reflecting different weights given to various problems. The 50% correct is probably a decent number to shoot for. Good Luck to you!

I love it! We have three equally competent people looking at the apparent numbers and we all gave different answers. I guess it truly depends on what this score of "70" really means in terms of questions answered correctly.

My mistake. I based my response on the assumption that there were 80 questions in the morning session and 40 in the afternoon session. Apparently, there are 120 questions in the morning and another 60 in the afternoon. Murat1, I have to retract my ststement that you clearly passed. As others pointed out, it will be a close call.

Maui

I just took the FE in Florida. It seemed that everyone around me was struggling when we were talking about it. I feel confident I passed. I also took the general exam.

There was rumors of the re-takers saying it was more difficult than in the past. I did not hear that first-hand though.

The proctors also commented on the numerous complaints about the PE test being much more difficult this year, as gauged by the people taking it.

I received an 83, which is a passing score although I have no idea what bearing it has on actual correct answers.

I have a question now, is it worth it to add EIT after my name on business cards and such? I'm a mechanical engineer working in the biomedical field.

The FE exam is not graded on a curve, and there is no guarantee that a certain percent of examinees will pass. Rather, NCEES uses a modification of the Angoff procedure to determine the suggested passing score. A committee of P.E/Phds examines each question and determines what fraction of minimally qualified engineers should be able to answer it. The summation of estimated fractions for all test questions becomes the passing score. It varies from year to year because of different questions. It is usually from 40-50%. Because the law in most states requires engineers to achieve a score of 70% to become liscensed, you may be reported as having achieved a score of 70 percent if your raw score is greater than the passing score established by NCEES regardless of the raw percentage.

Approximately 20% of each FE exam consists of questions repeated from previous examinatons--this is the equating subtest. Since the performance of previous examinees on the equating subtest is known, comparisons can be made between the two examinations and examinee populations. These comparisons are used to adjust the passing score.

If you can answer 30% of the test, guess 'c' for the rest (of which you will get 25% correct) chances are pretty good that you will pass. Also Jabberwocky, what state do you live in? No states I know about give a percent unless you fail. Additionally, (correct me if I'm wrong) I believe the just add E.I. on the business card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back