Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Force distribution along multiple brace bays

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonD5

Civil/Environmental
Jan 16, 2023
CA
I'm designing brace connections but iv been having difficulty understand how to properly distribute the internal loads at the connection node, which is required for the software I use "IDEA StatiCa"
The brace force is 500kN (tension only).
With the geometry I have that gives me a 338.6kN horizontal load that I need to distribute into my beams.
My question is how do I properly distribute that horizontal load into the beams?
What percentage of the 338.6kN goes into my left beam and how much into the right beam?
Assuming my wind load is coming from the left as shown below
I'm currently looking at the top brace connection at gridline 5
1Capture_nhcsmd.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It would be based on stiffness, but in this instance, since they appear to be identical, I would say each brace resists half of the total horizontal load.

However, do they mean 500 kN tension per brace, or total? Because if per brace, which is how I would interpret this drawing, then each of the two roof beams would have the same horizontal component. Or at least that's how I would designit.

Assuming the brace force is 500kN (tension only) is for per brace , 338.6kN horizontal compression load for Beam 4-5 , 2X338 kN for beams from gridline 5 to 8 and O.0 kN for beams from grids 1 to 4.. In this case , the horizontal load ( green ) is 2X338 kN.

Tim was so learned that he could name a
horse in nine languages: so ignorant that he bought a cow to ride on.
(BENJAMIN FRANKLIN )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back