Forced Ventilation of 1000-5000W brushless servo motors 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazz89

Aerospace
Jan 2, 2017
DE
Hi guys,

I am planning to operate 4x Kollmorgen servo motors each with a rated power of 1000-5000W. Since the motors will the most time be stationary while providing a constant torque, I want to add a separate, external ventilation system to each one of these.

I can't find any adeqaute ventilation for this task. Even the motor providers do not seem to offer external ventilators for cooling their motors as a separate option.

Any tips/help would be appreciated

Cya

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't work with anything like that, but I went to the website to see if there was info.

I didn't see any minimum speed rating for any of the motors.

One of the motors explicitly mentioned a continuous stall torque rating
"1 - 79 N-m of continuous stall torque"

I doubt this helps, but just posting what I saw poking around at the website.
Please feel free to disregard...

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

If I recall those servos often have no cooling fans nor any ventilation holes being IP6(something). That would infer they do not need cooling to do what they do.

However that does NOT mean you can let the ambient they are operating get very warm. I believe that is your only requirement - keeping the ambient reasonably cool.

Mike will be around to correct my theory shortly. LOL

Keith Cress
kcress -

itsmoked, I would only correct you if you stated something not quite true; since you & electricpete are spot on, no corrections forthcoming! HA!

I assume the motors in question are AKM models, in which case, yes, they are totally sealed and IP65 minimum with IP67 a small fee option. Others are available to full xplsproof ratings, or open rotor/stator sets or shaftless, or or or; prob not the ones discussed here I am guessing.

Yes, these motors have a continuous STALL torque rating; two in fact: one @ 60 degree C temp (includes ambient), and another at 100C. So they do not require any additional cooling, assuming they are mounted to a typical mounting surface and are in free air.

Now if one mounts them inside a sealed enclosure 1" larger than the motor itself, then the ASSUMED free air mounting would not be valid.

OP, give more details why you feel need or desire for additional cooling air?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back