Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forced Vibration Analysis in F.E. software

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngTipX

Mechanical
May 23, 2011
CA
Hi All,

I am not sure how to use FE software and specifically ANSYS to conduct Forced vibration analysis.
ANSYS has the following types of Analysis:
Modal Analysis (basically calculates natural frequencies and mode shapes)
Harmonic Analysis (provides the harmonic response under a range of frequencies)
I thought harmonic response would be the most suitable type of analysis. However, I tried using it and got weird results. Let us say I am applying a force of +10Pa this force is tensile and its frequnecy (forced frequency) is omega-f=6e5 rad/sec.

First, the harmonic frequency is a range. I would like to study the response at specific forced frequencies.

Second, let us say I would like to study the response while the applied force is +10Pa "while the force is tensile" or in other words the response at the begining of the harmonic cycle.

Third, what if I would like to apply a shear force of the same frequency.

I did a search and found this thread (not exactly what I was looking for however very helpful)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

if I may add to Harmonic response analysis. Not only it is a range of frequencies but also it does not apply the harmonic frequency to the force.

What would be the best way to study harmonic forced vibration?

the explore the forced response you need to include damping

there are several damping models ranging from linear to nonlinear

good luck

Thanks hacksaw,
I did not understand
hacksaw said:
the explore the forced response you need to include damping
Let us say you wish to model
m (dx/dt2)+ c (dx/dt)+ k x = F
and F is F=F0*sin(omega*t)
what type of analysis would you use?

I think I figured it out. However, got more questions :)
For harmonic Forced vibration you can use Harmonic response analysis. Yes harmonic response solves for a range of frequencies. If you desire a specific frequency
F=F0*sin(omega*t). Then, see the results for that particular frequency. The harmonic response provides results for a range of frequencies.

Now to my question, the harmonic response did not work when the boundary conditions were fixed cylinder around its axis! Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back