Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Foreign Diecast and Extrusion Vendor Recommendations 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

breezy83

Mechanical
Sep 22, 2020
US
Hello,

I'm working through my supply chain for a new product I'm working on, and my old overseas vendors for diecasting and metal extrusions have dried up. Does anyone have any recommendations for good foreign vendors for these two fabrication methods? I would really appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Would that be pressure or gravity diecasting?
And extrusions? Decorative or stock finish type? Custom or stock types?

Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement.

Apologies, I am in the US and looking for low-cost vendors for these 2 processes.

As for process details, I need pressure diecasting, and the extrusions are a mix of custom profiles and off-the-shelf cut-to-length.

I hope this clears everything up!

As a fellow resident of the US, I encourage you to please do everything you can to preserve our manufacturing base and buy domestic. Thank you!

In mid-2021 I was looking for custom extrusions, too. I spoke to these companies:

Oregon: British Columbia:
Both told me that due to supply problems, brought on by the obvious "2020" reason, they only had material to supply extrusions for existing customers and new customers needing more than 10,000 kg per batch. That situation may have changed since then, as the production of raw billet in Asia may have stabilized again. I don't know what to say about getting the raw aluminum into North America if it has to go through any port on the Pacific coast. But the same bottleneck would probably apply to finished extruded products made in Asia that still need to get to North America.

These people do small batches:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back