Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Foreign experience is useless??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunt401

Geotechnical
Oct 21, 2004
US
This question might not draw much attention from forum users, but I need some serious advices before I waste too much of my time.
I am an international student who is about to complete Ph.D degree and find a job in the U.S. My bachelor degree was from a foreign country, but I received a Master's from a state university in Ohio, and also expecting a Ph.D degree from the same school. After the master's, I worked for an engineering & construction company in my country for 4 years as a geotech engineer. That company was among top 20 international contractors by ENR, and most of my work were involved in huge international construction projects in south asian countries.

When I applied to some big name engineering firms in the U.S., I realized that many of them don't credit my experience from the outside of U.S. It could be understandable for small local-based companies, but I never thought that my foreign experience was practically useless to get a job in the U.S. In addition to this problem, many also think that I am overqualified with a Ph.D degree.
I want to stay in the industry and do more practical work, but I am very confused right now if I ever find a job other than faculty positions at school. Any advice or recomendation will be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Congratulations for getting higher education. There are three elements to a succesful engineering practice in the US. The first is education, which you have. The second is experience in civil engineering projects, which you also have. The final component is the PE license. One you get few more years of US experience, then you'll be a Dr. with a PE and follow the footsteps of Wayne C. Teng or T.Y. Lin. Stay optimistic and in about 3 yrs we'll all be working for you.

A Member of

I agree with fndn that the PE would be of great help to you. It would show US firms that you have a familiarity with US work practices and requirements. Once a firm is convinced that you could work locally, your international experience will prove a benefit.

Regards,

Both design engineering and job site experience from an international location should be considered. Individuals within some of the engineering and construction business may disregard your work over there. However, I bet that they would count their experience for a project executed in your home land.

Good luck in your career.

John

Hunt401 - first off (as a Buckeye), glad to see you had your education in our fine state! You definitely have the education. Your work experience being on heavy civil jobs for a high profile company overseas should stand you in good stead. If employers in the States don't want to recognize the work, it shows they lack vision and perspective. I would say good heavy civil experience far outweighs many in the US who just practice in run of the mill type projects - e.g., in Toronto, some firms spend all there time on the Peel Till plain - how hard of geotechnical engineering is that?? As fndn says - keep your chin up - market yourself as experienced with big name firm and sell yourself to them with good references from any expat engineers for whom you have worked with.
[cheers]

Thank you all for encouraging advices!!
As fndn and BigH say, I will try to be positive in my career. I also realized that a PE certificate in the U.S. should be the top priority I have to complete to be sucessful. ENR website provides me a list of top global engineering firms, and that could be my first step for job searching.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back