Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Forged brass valves

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabiobs

Industrial
Jan 18, 2016
IT
Hello everyone. I dimensioned a forged brass valve according to EN standard. Now i need to prove the correct design according to ASME standard.
I know that for ferrous material there is B16.34 but what about brass valve?
Can someone tell me which standard i need?
Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ferrous Valve dimensions are covered by B16.34 ... as you noted

B16.34 establishes pressure-temperature ratings, dimensions, tolerances, materials, nondestructive examination requirements, testing, and marking for cast, forged, and fabricated flanged, threaded, and welding end and wafer or flangeless valves of steel and other materials (not copper or brass)

I believe that you may need AMERICAN VALVE STANDARD MSS-SP-110 for your brass valves

Titled: "Ball Valves - Threaded, Socket-Welding, Solder Joint, Grooved and Flared Ends"

But this is not the same as the EN standard ...

This begs the question, Which standard is required by your Contract Documents ?

Looking forward to your answer ...

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

What type of 'Valve' are you discussing? and to what EN Standard? What is the reason for an ASME standard?

*** Per ISO-4126, the generic term
'Safety Valve' is used regardless of application or design ***

*** 'Pressure-relief Valve' is the equivalent ASME/API term ***

It is a pneumatic valve (like Y valve), according to PED directive (I used EN 12516-2 and EN 12516-4).
A new customer need the CRN number and I'd like to verify thickness with ASME standard.

From all the available options I've been able to see, I think your best goto specification is MSS-SP-80 - This Standard Practice establishes requirements for bronze gate, globe, angle, and check valves for general purpose services and provides requirements for the following: a) Pressure-Temperature Ratings b) Materials c) End Connections (Design) d) Dimensions (Design) e) Markings f) Inspection and Testing. Hope that helps.

*** Per ISO-4126, the generic term
'Safety Valve' is used regardless of application or design ***

*** 'Pressure-relief Valve' is the equivalent ASME/API term ***

ASME B16.24: Cast copper alloy pipe flanges, flanged fittings, and valves.

Or you can use one of the previously mentioned MSS standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back