Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Forging parts to net shape for ASME pressurized components

Status
Not open for further replies.

komposites

Materials
Nov 28, 2012
Question about ASME BPVC pressurized components:
Are there additional ASME requirements, if I were to take SA-### certified Steel Bar, and have it forged to net shape, then post-machined? Do I have to do some additional testing? For example, there are additional requirements in VIII, Div-3, KF-6 for "quenched and tempered steels". And in a way, forging will have similar processes for heat-treating, quenching, and tempering. So does that mean, I have to satisfy those requirements? Feel free to respond in terms of VIII, Div.1, which is more common. If additional requirements are lengthy, then maybe better to just machine from the steel bar without forging.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Forum,

When hot-forging a pressure-bearing part out of ASME spec'ed SA-### steel material (like Round bar), does the ASME BPVC require the ASME Fabricator to gather any particular inspection data, heating data, or additional material testing? When hot-forging, it's basically similar to a heat-treatment process (correct?).

Based on what I've seen in the forums, forgings are actually superior metallurgically compared to machining from a large billet or bar.
Thanks,
K

Forum,
I'm looking at SA-479 for annealed 316 round bar to machine a nozzle. It is approved in section 8 (div3) and section 2. If I were to take this material and have it forged to near-net shape, then does that require the material to be recertified to SA-336 as a forged part by the forge shop? I really doubt it.

However, I found in KM-102.1 and KM-2 (FORGED, ROLLED... STANDARD PARTS) basically telling me that I don't need a CTR, if I am "wholly forming by forging", but I still have to run Charpy V-notch. This still sounds like a lot of work, so maybe it's best to just machine directly from a billet of SA-479??

What do you all think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back