Forklift Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAndersson

Industrial
Sep 13, 2006
US
Hello,

I have a Co-worker and he is in a management position.

He is not an engineer, but a person who has a lot of construction experience, but no manufacturing experience or not much experience.

Working with him is very very hard, he is not professional at all at the manufacturing plant.

He has a forklift certification, and he ha trained some of the employees in operating the forklift. He is giving them some photocopy of a certification.

I would consider it a mickey mouse certification, with his signature and the name of the employee.

The photocopy is just a square 2" x 3" paper with his signature and signed by the employee.

I think it is something like play money referring to monopoly, and could only be played with that board game and no other place.

Feedback is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

More info here:

If I understand it correctly, OSHA requires a different certificate for training and certifying operators than for being a certified operator. Your coworker presumably has the former certificate.

The operator's certificates can be issued, in fact _must_ be issued, by the employer. There are probably requirements for minimum content. E.g., since the certificates expire, they should be dated.

Perhaps you could help your company, and turn a difficult co-worker into a friend, by researching the minimum requirements and "helping" him to produce a more professional looking certificate.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

MrAndersson,
Mike is correct in his statements. Keep in mind that whenever your company issues most any kind of certificate they are accepting some liability. If the company standard meets or exceeds regulatory specs then the exposure decreases. If the training does not meet the spec or attempts to circumvent it then exposure goes up. How much is the company willing to gamble?
If you are uncomfortable with the process then chances are that it could stand some improvement. Start with the trainer and if he does not respond appropriately, move up the ladder.
Griffy

The liability is a very important topic you mention. I haven't thought of that part, but thank you.

He is not professional at all.

Just to mention something. We have speakers at the warehouse and he tuned in some religious music.
I had to complain.
Today he was playing classical slow music.

I mean, talk about low productivity, I almost fell asleep with the music.

The only place I've heard slow classical music is at a slaughter house to reduce stress in animals.

Getting sidetracked here,
and back to forklifts, I don't know what type of certification he has, but this is the type of person I have to work with everyday.

Just to mention a few

When I mentioned he was playing music. I'm talking about music through the speakers mounted on columns where everyone in the plant can hear the music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back