Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forklift Driver Wheel Load - Concrete Slab on Grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

2meterman

Structural
Dec 6, 2006
US
I'm designing a warehouse that will have both fork lift wheel loads and rack loads on a concrete slab on grade.

I've done this kind of design before using ACI 360R - Design of Slabs on Ground.

My small dillema is that everything is set up for an axle with 2 wheels. The forklifts on this project have a single load axle with 2 wheels and just one drive wheel (no axle). I can design the slab without a problem for the loads on the load axle. But I'm not sure how to design the slab for the single driver wheel. The loads aren't real high, approximately 5 kips for the driver wheel with a surface contact area of 18 square inches.

Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I wouldn't check the single wheel case. The axle with two wheels will control, since it will have much higher loads (it is near the fork). Also, 5 kips on an industrial floor slab is no big deal.

DaveAtkins

Agree with Dave...neglect the single wheel. Stress radius is too small to overlap and vertical stresses are low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back