Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Forklifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

drawoh

Mechanical
Oct 1, 2002
CA
I have just been in a meeting in which we discussed forklifts punching holes in the sides of our shipping crates. We build stuff that sells for a million dollars plus, so this is a serious problem.

The forklifts are not ours. They belong to shippers and customers. We have no control over the machines or the operators.

Is there any practical literature out there on this? I am interested in labelling, vertical spacing between crates, shippers who specialize in not damaging expensive stuff?

Thanks.

Critter.gif
JHG

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Someone who can't be bothered to hit a 3-inch slot isn't going to bother to read warning labels. This is all training and management, neither of which appears to apply to your shipper. You should dump him ASAP. There are those that specialize in handling delicate equipment, but that will be more expensive.

Seems to me that damage provisos need to be put into your contracts. Damaging equipment should incur a commensurate penalty; otherwise, where's the motivation for the shipper to fix his problem operators? Also means that you shouldn't be awarding to lowest bidder ;-)

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back