Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Form of polynomials produced by regress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raf.D

Mechanical
Apr 17, 2021
GR
Hello everyone, I trying to fit a function to some data I have. I have 3 independent variable so the equation will be of the form f(x,y,z). Using the Regress interp functions I have created the wanted equation and the accuracy is good enough. My problem is that I need to present this equation. I know that the coefficients are in the outcome of the regress function (after the first three) but given that my polynomial is of 8th or 9th degree there are a couple of hundred coefficients ( but not a perfect cube which would make sense to me). So I will need to present my equation as a sum, but I don't know how the form of the created polynomial to write it as a sum. Anyone know anything about the forms of polynomials created by regress?
Thank you all for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are assuming that a general polynomial will approximate the function as a result of one variable.
I have found that there is a practical order to the degree of polynomial that makes sense.
Start with 3 general polynomials
x0+x1*x+x2*x^2+x3*x^3...
Y0+y1*y+y2*y^2+y3*y^3...
z0+z1*z+z2*z^2+z3*z^3...
and multiply them together. This is easy in Mathcad.

We don't know the range of each variable. Knowing that would help or even getting a clue as to what you are really doing would help.
It could be a different type of polynomial is required for each direction. One could try Pade approximants too.

Peter Nachtwey
Delta Computer Systems
IFPE Hall of Fame Member

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back