Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FORMAT FOR REPORT ON STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhemacy

Civil/Environmental
Dec 28, 2004
LC
A FRIEND OF MINE NEEDS TO KNOW IF HIS HOUSE IS STRUCTURALLY SOUND SO HE CAN DO SOME SORT OF EXPANSION AND/OR RENOVATION. WHAT IS THE APPROPRIATE FORMAT IF ONE WANTS TO CONDUCT A REPORT OF THIS NATURE? WHAT DOES ONE LOOK FOR SPECIFICALLY, ETC?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For my strucutural inspections of this type the ground conditions and the foundation construction loads capacity is most important. Then the supporting wood framing and finally the roof. This ia an over simplified explanation and a detailed report would investigate the structural changes that are needed to construct the added building structure. Best Regards

Thank you bplech and jjeng2.

Actually I need guidelines on how to conduct the inspection and on the writing the report.

Many Thanks for any help you could give on this matter.

ASCE puts out a standard called "Structural Condition Assessment of Buildings". I dont think you would need most of the info in it for a house but it should give you the info you need to know. This is not something you can just tell someone what to do. You need a trained Structural Engineer who will know what he is looking at and what to look for. There are too many variables to be able to tell someone what to look for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back