Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formula One regeneration

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobWard

Industrial
Nov 7, 2001
GB
Speaking as a layman with an interest in all things mechanical:
a couple of years ago formula one teams were banned from using regenerative techniques in their engines.
I never managed to find out just what techniques these were.
Perhaps some of you chaps (or chapesses) could tell me what form these regenerative techniques took?
The only ones I know of are flywheel (kinetic), or electrical and I can't see these being used in a sport where weight incurs such a penalty.

Many thanks.

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go past." Douglas Adams

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

there is a book called F1 technology, you can find there all the banned technology. Flywheel was used, the energy save was more than the loss spent for its weight and dont forget that before some years the target of a team was the horsepower and not aerodynamics and handling. I also read somewhere of energy saving during braking but this requires the installation of battery and electromagnetic brakes.

"the answer is 42, whats the question"?

Thanks, I shall go order a copy now!

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go past." Douglas Adams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back