Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formulas expected behaviour for Modeling Spreadsheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersen07

Industrial
Dec 8, 2021
BR
I never used Modeling Spreadsheets before and I'm wondering if I'm having the expected results for it.
According to the docs, it seems that if I create a Spreadsheet (in NX > Tools > Spreadsheet), formulas that I type in the spreadsheet should be two-way translated (from spreadsheet to NX expressions and from NX expressions to spreadsheet). So I tried:
[ol 1]
[li]In NX, created two parameters (Tools > Expressions): "width = 10" and "height = if (width >= 10) then (5) else (20)".[/li]
[li]In NX, created a Spreadsheet (Tools > Spreadsheet).[/li]
[li]In Excel, selected cell A1 and clicked Add-Ins > Extract Expr.[/li]
[/ol]
I expected "width" to have formula "= 10" and "height" to have a translated formula "=IF(width >= 10; 5; 20)", but instead I got "height = @exprval("height")".

The other way around is even worse. If I:
[ol 1]
[li]In Excel, change "height" expression to any Excel formula, like "=SUM(D1:D7)" (which results in 170)[/li]
[li]Save spreadsheet, click Add-Ins > Update NX Part and close the spreadsheet[/li]
[/ol]
When I open the Expressions window (NX > Tools > Expressions), I get "height = 170", without any functions, just a bare value.
If I then reopen the Spreadsheet (NX > Tools > Spreadsheet) and click Add-Ins > Refresh Expr, it refreshes "height" to "= 170", which makes me lose all the Spreadsheet logic whenever I refresh the expressions.

Protecting the desired cells to maintain their formula have no effect.

I'm using NX 1980 and Excel 365
Is this the expected behavior?
Thanks

Edit: included NX and Excel version

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back