Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FORTRAN & VISUAL STUDIO -- Can Digital F work in VS6 or higher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimC

Civil/Environmental
Jan 10, 2000
US
I am currently running Digital Visual Fortran V5.0 in a similarly elderly version of MS Visual (Developer's) Studio (ca. 1998). I also have a succession of newer versions of Visual Studio, through VS 2005. Is there any way to bring the old Fortran under the control of one of the newer versions of Visual Studio?
Regards,
Tim.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can download the Intel Fortran Compiler from the intel homesite (it's free for non-commercial purposes).
Install MS Visual Studio first, then install the intel fortran compiler. During the installation it will recognize Visual Studio and it will embed its features in it.
After that, you will be able to create, edit, compile and debug any fortran code using MS Visual Studio.

Everything should be made as easy as possible, but not easier

Albert Einstein

Thanks for the info Madsplinter.
My intent had been to keep my old version of Digital Visual Fortran v5.0 -- which is licensed and works ok for my purposes. I just wanted to see if I could hook it up to a more current version of Visual Studio. But alas, that doesn't seem to be possible.
Regards,
-Tim-

I have IVF on VS.net 2005. Seems to be OK. I don't think something as old as DVF will integrate into VS.net2005.

The problem is that MS changed the interface. On VS6, it half a makefile with some internal language for hints. On the later versions, it is XML. Since DVF was written before VS.net 2002 came out, it is not likely that it will have the relevant XML files to integerate into VS.net2005

Thanks XWB,
I hate to admit it but it looks like I'm going to have to upgrade from my 10-year old software.
Regards.
-Tim-

Apart from line numbers, a fancier GUI and rearranging all the menus, there is very little difference between VS2005 and VS6, especially if you're using it for Fortran.

If you don't need stuff like .net, proper STL library or C#, stay with VS6. It may look a bit dated but it is reliable and it works. Where I'm working now, they're still using VS6 for all development.

MadSplintet said:
You can download the Intel Fortran Compiler from the intel homesite (it's free for non-commercial purposes).

Could you post a link ? I can only find a 30-day evaluation download.

And according to the Intel web-site:

"Evaluation versions of Intel® Software Development Products are available for free download. To get free support during the evaluation period, create an Intel® Premier Support account now or after downloading the evaluation license. Please note that the product will cease to function at the end of the evaluation period, and the evaluation license is not renewable. "

Sorry, I ceased using Fortran on win months ago...
Now I'm using Intel Fortran Compiler for Linux, that is free for non commercial purposes...
I thought it was the same for the windows version.

Sorry, my fault

Everything should be made as easy as possible, but not easier

Albert Einstein

This is the site for the Linux version
It is not the same for Windows versions. You'll find that it is the same on a lot of products. The Linux version is free but the Windows version isn't.

There are quite a few free F95 compilers that will work on Windows for more than 30 days. I switch quite often between these:

g95
gfortran
Salford/Silverfrost - has PlatoIII IDE which is similar to visual studio.

If I want to do Windows GUIs, I use Silverfrost. If I want speed, I use g95. If I want to check compatibility, I use all three. Unfortunately none of them have anything to integrate into visual studio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back