Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FORTRAN EXCEL INTERACTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunirschl

Civil/Environmental
Feb 7, 2007
I'm discovering how to read from/write to a cell in an Excell spreadsheet. I'm studing the Fortran AUTODICE example. In taht example, I understood howto write/read, but I dont't know how to close the excel file automatically, from a Fortan code. AUTODICE opens a file and manipulates it, but the file stays opened in the end. In my case, I need to close file in the end.
If someone know it, please, I'm waiting. I can explain what I know about this matter.
Thanks
Eng. Gustavo
Brazil

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's been years since I did any Fortran, but I recall having used OPEN to open a file for read and write and CLOSE to close the file. Would Excel work the same?

I don't know what Autodice is. However... as for Fortran and Excel... Opening and closing text files in Fortran is very simple. But, if you are trying to open Excel itself with a file loaded into it, that's a totally different ball game.

It should be very easy to use Fortran (most compilers anyway) to Start up Excel with a pre-existing data file loaded up in the Excel spreadsheet. You can then manipulate that file from within Excel. Of course, then you have to close Excel from within the Excel interface. Fortran does not have a way to close another application (in this case, Excel). The question is... does Excel offer a way for some other program to take control of it and close it directly.

I tend to doubt it, however, it might. In any case, if Excel does allow this behavior, I doubt it's a simple task to understand.

Dan :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back