FORTRAN - Severe File not found error. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gprog

Computer
Jul 7, 2016
IT
HI,

I have a FORTRAN executable that works perfectly in Windows XP, however when I execute the same in Windows 7 , I get the following error

forrt1: The System cannot find the file specified
forrt1: severe <602>: file not found.

I tried using the process monitor to look for the files the executable is using but of no avail.

Any help on this is appreciated!

Thanks in anticipation.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can't you just add print statements to identify where you are in the program before it throws the error?

Otherwise, you need to copy all the potentially relevant files from the one computer to the other. You can also try renaming likely folders until you throw the same error on the old computer.

TTFN
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
faq731-376 forum1529

Thank you for your reply!

The problem is that I do not have the source code for the executable. It has no support files or folders.

If i copy the EXE anywhere in an XP PC, it works whereas in a Win 7 32 Bit or 64 Bit PC it throws the following error

forrt1: The System cannot find the file specified
forrt1: severe <602>: file not found.

I had used PROCMON to track the file(s) its looking for but not able to trace anything in particular.

I am not a FORTRAN programmer, but you could try a few of these ideas:

1. right click and run as administrator

2. compare your windows PATH on the old and new computer.
Control panel / System / Advanced system settings / environment variables / Path.
Or you can just go to the command line and type path
see if there is something in the path on the xp system that you might need on windows 7 system.

3. I'm not sure if you need some sort of FORTRAN runtime library installed?

I would echo JG2828 's suggestions. One of the first issues with Win7 is it's higher security attitude which often requires running something as administrator that didn't care before.

The other thing is file permissions and locations, but if you're not actually trying to run this on particular files then this is less likely.

You can also try the Win7 compatibility settings one at a time.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Yes, excellent point itsmoked. I didn't think of compatibility settings. Those actually do fix issues sometimes. Right click, properties, Compatibility, Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (service pack 3).
There is also a checkbox to run as administrator.

I think that JG2828's point 3 is worth investigating.

Is the XP computer the one used to originally develop and compile the Fortran program, or did it come with an installation program that might have installed a run-time package?

If Fortran is installed on the XP computer you could try installing it on the Win7 machine, or just download the appropriate run-time package and install that.

Doug Jenkins
Interactive Design Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back