Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fouling - Ultrafiltration Lemon Juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanzon

Chemical
Sep 30, 2003
US
Hi...I am pursuing some paper or reference about a special kind of Fouling. I have perceived some decreasing in flux during my experiments with citrus juices. When I run UF process with Lemon Juice there is a strong drop on flux.
I am using Polisulfone Membranes.
Do you know some reference about this kind of fouling?
Thanks in advance...

Araujo (Brazil)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi araujo,
the problem with citrujuice is pectin and other biopolymeres, so you have to use a big amount of enzymes. unfortunately the citrus oil will destroy your membran anyway after a longer use.
i don't know any reference.
ciao apfelsaft

Araujo:

Apfelsaft is absolutely correct. The juice must be de-oiled, typically to less that 1 ppm. Next a pectinesterase enzyme is used to fully depectinize the juice. Also, dependent upon the membrane configuration the pulp and soluable solids content may a role in fouling as well.

There are several things that should be considered.

Hope this helps.

Thank you....I undestand about enzyme and oil content, when I have runned experiments using orange juice....no problem...but with lemon system has shown flux decreasing.
I don't know. but I imagine there is some chemical compound in lemon juice responsible for this problem.

Araujo

We have UF systems running on lemon juice in South America as routine process without problems. There are many considerations as I listed in my previous post.

What type and configuration of membrane are you using?

brennans7

I am running tests using polisulfone membranes hollow fiber, fresh lemon juice from Tahiti fruit. What is your opinion about Lemons Juice and Orange Juice....is it suppose to have so different performance?

Araujo

nbucska..

Pilot Scale.....but it is the same process used in Citrus Industry in Brazil and US. This kind of process has been used in citrus companies as routine process. My target is to answear this special question about lemom problem....I already have confirmed this drop in flux performance when Lemon Juice was used as Feed. Lemon is the challenge.

Araujo

Do you mean Tahitian lime juice? This would make a big difference. Also, with orange you don't depectinize as with lemon and the pH is significantly lower with lemon than orange. This has an effect as well. I have only heard of Tahitian Lemon juice.

brennans7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back