Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Foundation saddle loads due to OPE/HYD/wind/seismic

Status
Not open for further replies.

satheesh787

Mechanical
Aug 28, 2014
AE
Hi all,

I am new to PVelite software.But i am to verify (vendor document) Pvelite design report for my project.

[highlight #FCE94F]Can any one explain that saddle loads (i.e.vertical/transverse/longitudinal shear) due to OPE/HYD/wind/Seismic cases separately generated from PVelite software?[/highlight]

In my current report,Saddle loads due to operating/Hydro-test case have been generated & Followings have been noticed

In OPE case report,
Saddle reaction force due to wind Ft & Fl and due to seismic Fst & Fsl is done.
In HYD test case report,
Only Saddle reaction force due to wind Ft & Fl is done.

In both case,summary of load has been given with vertical/transverse/longitudinal shear loads.

I am bit confused about how summary loads arrived at each cases in report.Can anyone elaborate this checking methodology?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

satheesh,
No one would bother to go in technical details for something you are completely out of your world. Worst still, you have accepted to do an engineering review for a design you have no idea what it is. Have the decency and tell your managers that for the sake of saving a few lives of plant operators, you will not review the pressure vessel calculations. Do not endanger the life of fellow humans with your incompetent selfish act, that you call engineering.

Hi

Thanks for your advise for my first ever post in this website.

I guess purpose of this forum is to get some engineering tips & make yourself confidence.But Your reply seems that i should not post anything here unless you are being expert.Nobody born as pressure vessel expert. My humble request to you that not to discourage anybody.Correct me if i am wrong.

Let us get something straight please: pressure vessels kill people, they have killed hundreds of people in the past, and they have destroyed many hundreds of millions of dollars of adjacent property when improperly operated in the past, when poorly designed in the past, and and when poorly fabricated or fabricated to bad designs in the past.

We do NOT want innocents killed because YOU believe you can learn pressure design and and fabrication over the internet. IF you had the background and training to design and critique pressure vessel analysis already, and YOU were the one needing specific guidelines or answers to specific questions, then - yes! - asking questions here is a good and important step.

You - in the opinion of the professionals reading your questions and the level of experience evident in your questions - do not yet have the knowledge to do this task yet. You may aquire it through work, through reading, through additional classes or your company's training and assignments. But not here on line by open questions. That method is not safe for other people to work around, for other companies to have their equipment exposed to the hazards you will create.

Hi

I realized that being novice,I shouldn't have posted this basic questions.Sorry for inconvenience

Thanks

Satheesh,

In PV elite you may have consider o% seismic load for hydrotest condition..

In summary i think PV elite shows the seismic / wind load,whichever is more...

Bmechz

No Satheesh, you did not realize that you are playing with others human life with your attitude. You still believe that YOU are the center of the dispute and you are not humble to realize that this is about the people you could harm, if you care about your human being fellows around you. The problem is your attitude, not the work you think you could do. Stop playing the modest novice, you are a danger to the society with your attitude. I can help you to be a good pressure vessel engineer, but stop being selfish and playing the offended novice on this great website. You can learn here to be a Man of integrity and useful to your society, as long as you have the right engineering attitude.

Hey guys lets clarify poor satheesh787's doubts. Enough GYAN has been given.

I have not used PV-Elite since long time but there is standard practice for considering 0% seismic load while hydrotesting of equipments.

Normally we consider 25% or 33% wind loads or as per client specification while hydrotesting.

In case of operating conditions, PV-Elite determines worst load cases for wind and seismic and designs saddle for highest load.

Hope, I clarified your doubts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back