Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Foundation Settlement Tolerance for Rotating Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

LobstaEata

Structural
May 23, 2006
US
Our firm has been designing block foundations for combustion gas turbine and steam turbines (either pile supported or on-grade) for a settlement tolerance of 1/4". However most soils reports I see arrive at allowable bearing pressure recommendations based on 1/2" of overall settlement. I'm wondering though whether the machine tolerance being used at our firm is overly stringent, as I'm not able to locate the basis to support it in our company materials. Does anyone in this forum have experience in the settlement tolerances required for CTG and STG machines?

Steve

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

???

Commercial powerplant gas turbine bearings are set (tuned) to the 1/10's of a thousandth of an inch and-to-end: Generator bearing, generator bearing, GT inlet, GT middle, GT outlet. Are you sure you're accepting 1/4 movement of the pedestals the GT's are sitting on?

Or are these so small that the whole thing sits on one foundation?

Sorry that I wasn't more clear about the scope of projects. We design foundations for small CHP power generation equipment. 10MW to 50MW machines mostly. And yes, the foundations designed are primarily single unit mass substructures supporting an entire machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back