Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Frac Composite Plug Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2017
BO
I heard about Frac Plugs that are RIH make up with the guns assembly. But what I dont know if the fracking operation involve run a frac assembly and the Casign ID will be subjected to withstand fracking pressure? As an example, the customer expects to frac the well with 15k but the casign ID cannot withstand that ammount of pressure, only reach 7500 psi (Burst) as handbook state.?

Thanks for your replies in advance. It will help me a lot

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jose, for the common plug and perf completion method, you are correct. The plug and guns are run in the hole together. There are switches between the plug and each cluster of guns. The switches allow the operator to detonate each charge separately by applying either a positive or negative voltage to the wireline.

In all of the completions that I have seen, each tubular would need to be rated for at least as much pressure as is likely be encountered plus a safety factor.

Is you customer planning to treat down the casing or through another tubing string?

I have seen scenarios where you have 7" production casing and a 4-1/2" liner where the liner has a polished bore receptacle (PBR) liner hanger top. In this case a seal assembly stinger is run into the well on tubing and stabbed into the liner hanger. In this instance, the 7" production casing would likely not have to be rated to full treating pressure since it should not experience full treating pressure. Though, the liner, liner hanger, PBR, seal assembly, tubing, and wellhead components would need to be rated for expected treating pressure plus a safety factor.

Thanks for your reply. The customer is considering both options, fracking down the casign and through fracking tubing string. In the first case, what conditions should we considered if the liner is 5 1/2" 17# and intermediate casign 9-5/8" 53,5# will undergo fracking pressure.?

Jose, ensure each tubular and component is rated for at least as much pressure as is likely be encountered plus a safety factor. Do you have a Halliburton Redbook or other source to look up the API accepted values for burst pressure for each different size/weight/grade of casing and tubing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back