Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Frame & Ductile cantilever Shearwall system

Status
Not open for further replies.

80smetalfm

Geotechnical
May 29, 2006
AU
Could anyone please provide some help on how to differentiate the above two Structural systems for high seismic regions? My building is 11 storeys high, half of which sits into a hillside. I have weathered rock on all pad footings with allowable bearing pressure of 600-1000 kPa. I am having difficulties getting the shearwalls from the Architect(as usual!!)because of functional requirements and plan to adopt a pure frame system. The structure currently is a rc 40 mPa strong column & weak beam frame system with sufficient shearwalls in only one strong direction.

many thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When you say differentiate, what do you mean? Might sound stupid (I can be stupid) Do you mean how do you tell the systems apart? How do you determine what your building type is by the code, such that you can work out your analysis method? Or do you mean how do you ensure you have a moment frame type structure and that the building doesn’t behaviour as a shear wall structure? Or do you mean something else?

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that them like it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back