Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Frame element attaching itself to nearby joint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmanK

Structural
Dec 14, 2003
I have a series of colinear spring elements of varying nonlinear extension parameters to which I want to apply a prestrain. I used a frame element connected to the end joints of the series, and applied a strain load to it. I noticed unpredicted behavior, and after testing the model, I realized that the beam seems to be attaching itself to the intermediate spring joints, translating them differently than the applied end displacement should. Is there something I should be aware of when assembling springs/elements that pass through same locations, but are meant to remain disconnected?

Thank You

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm confused. Could you please explain once more and try and do so a little more concisely? This following advice may or may not help you, but if you select a joint or joints, you can go to Edit menu and "Disconnect". You also need to be careful with which snap tools you have activated and which ones you have turned off. SAP should not connect frames, links or springs to joints unless you click on those joints.

thank you stressed, and my apologies for the layoff. A simple example would be 3 colinear joints, 2 springs running between, and a frame element running the full length between the 2 exterior joints. Alignment of this system shows that the intermediate joint interacts with the frame element to some extent. Connectivity data was checked and showed no unintended connection. I confirmed to my satisfaction that this is a "bug" in SAP, and circumnavigated the issue by placing colinear elements side-by-side and joining their ends by rigid links (or constraints).

Thanks again
old man K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back