Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frame specifications for HD Chopper style

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpageiii

Computer
Jul 3, 2003
US

I am the son in a father/son team project for building a chopper.
We were looking at buying a frame from 3rd party (Rolling thunder etc) however the because my father is an experienced welder we are consider custom building the frame. My father has never built a motorcycle frame and asked me to find him some example blueprints or plans so he can build the frame.
We also considered buying the first frame then producing others using the first one as a template.
Are there any books or websites that contain this information.

Bill

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is a tough one...
While you can build your own frame there is a lot more to consider than welding expertise.
1. When you are done, if you intend to sell them you will need to provide an MSO with each one, otherwise people will have a very difficult time registering them.
2. You will need expensive jigs (especially if you expect to offer different strecth, rise, or rake angles)to maintain straightness and alignments (plus repeatability if you plan on making more than one)
3. Liability insurance will be a big cost
4. Marketing: once you are done and ready to sell them, there are already hundreds of people making frames. If you plan on ust copying an existing frame for yourself that's one thing, but if you plan on selling them you really need to have something new and exciting to offer or be selling them for quite a bit less than one everyone else is.
After all that, if you are still interested in doing it, there aren't really any good books on v-twin frame geometry, but there is a chassis design book that will help with the basics of building a parts bike and has a lot of good info, also this month's Street Chopper, Sept 2003 issue has a good frame geometry article from Atlas.
If you want more info on the book e-mail me prototype@adelphia.net

Thank You for the information.

Because we have no experience building motorcyle frames I'm pretty sure we do not intend to sell (at least at this point). Actually I was thinking I could learn welding from my father. And was just thinking about a fun project.

I will definately check out the magazine. Also, can you give me the details about the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back