Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Framing a New Roof on Top of an Existing PEMB Roof 5

structuralengr89

Structural
Jun 28, 2006
US
Would anyone ever consider framing a new roof on top of an existing PEMB? I have someone who has adjacent pre-engineered metal buildings and wants to frame a new roof between them to get rid of the valley. Reasons to not do it:
1. Expansion/Contraction. Tying 2 buildings together with framing between the valley would change how the buildings move with temperature.
2. Collateral Loads. I see many PEMB's in my state, where the PEMB engineers are indicating 1 PSF for collateral! Not enough capacity.
3. Liability. You touch it, you own it.

If I had good documentation that said I had maybe 10 psf collateral and the buildings were small...I might consider framing with some CFS framing above.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your reason 1: You could overbuilt two roofs with an expansion joint between them - still gets rid of the valley but allows differential movement.
PEMB's move a lot so a large EJ would be required for both directions - hard to create and maintain for a roof.

Your reasons 2 and 3: Yessir

PEMBs are so tightly designed that they may not be able to accommodate the added loading.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

How wide is the PEMB and how tall is the step between buildings?

Also, what is the reason to do this? What is the client trying to achieve? Better drainage? Less snow buildup?

bones206 said:
I like to tell clients: pre-engineered buildings are not meant to be post-engineered.

That's gold; I'm using it.

c01_vjykdh.jpg

Wait, is this two existing buildings, or is this one existing building that a new one is getting installed directly beside?

How close are they?

Back