Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Free or Cheap 2D Cad System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggy

Mechanical
Feb 5, 2002
NL
Does anyone know of a cheap(or even freeware) 2D Cad Package that has a similar front end to Autocad.

Basically I want a small CAD package for doing layouts, sketches and possible Isometric sketches, that I can use my existing Autocad Skils on, without to much 'retraining'.

Any ideas?

Biggy
[pc3]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could try any of the "clearance bins" at the major retailers like Staples and Office Depot, many times they have software for sale for $10. I've seen things like 2D and even 3D CAD programs there. "Happy the Hare at morning for she is ignorant to the Hunter's waking thoughts."

Thanks Mike.

I've downloaded it. It seems pretty good for free! I've had a quick play and it has most of the functions I want. It is a lot better than the other option I have, which is Visio.

Biggy [bigsmile]

There is also a program called VDraft (vdraft.com) that recognizes AutoCAD commands. It is also pretty decent at importing AutoCAD drawings, but you should completely explode them in AutoCAD for the best import results. You can download a demo version. A full license runs $250. It also supports API programming. DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

I use TurboCAD for all of my professional work. Its the best CAD package for the money by a long way and the forum based support second to none.

If you upgrade to one of the later versions you will be able to read an write a varied selection of CAD file formats including dwg, dgn, iges, dwf etc. Cehck out the website

Dear all,
IntelliCAD2001 does the job, an is similar than AutoCAD14 and compatible with AutoCAD 2000 but not the same.
It is free, same Icons (90%).So for the beginner you have 60% of all Cad software already learned. It is also MS office oriented, means VBA programming.Good luck with it,be happy.Jef

My favorite for 2D AutoCAD work alike is Intellicad 2001 standard evaluation version from
The "evaluation" version of Intellicad 2001 standard is an "unlimited time" evaluation, registration required.

I have used TurboCAD but the interface is different from AutoCAD and files are translated, not AutoCAD native. Dimensions were usually garbled in translation.

Here is a link to lots of other free CAD software, 2D and 3D

QCAD (I think it's available only for Linux) is a great one too. Have a look. Abhijeet Oundhakar
Design Engineer
STUP Consultants Ltd.
Bombay, India

I have a stone-age program called Windows DRAFIXcad(2D).It can transfer dwg files to autocad in single layers only,+export data to excel 2.o. If interested,I can zip it in 2 parts and send to you.give me an email address.

mooslimtj@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back