Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Free standing masonry wall downstream from wetpond

Status
Not open for further replies.

redlines4you

Civil/Environmental
Apr 24, 2017
US
Jurisdiction is requiring a 7' masonry wall (block fence, basically) around a site. We have a wetpond SCM on site, over-sized to meet pre-post for a 100 year storm. I can size orifices in the wall to accommodate, but from an aesthetic standpoint, wondering if there is a best practice of form to meet this function; when I asked the structural, he basically shrugged and told me to tell him where and how many holes I wanted.

And of course, higher intensity storms than the 100-year will activate the spillway and a considerable amount of water will be headed towards this wall which will basically act as another dam; what size storm should I design for? Thoughts appreciated if anyone has ever come across this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Whats the question exactly?

For storms greater than 100yr you have to get the flooD water out of the site but there is a wall in the way and your wondering whats the best way to get the water through/or over the wall?

it all depends on a number of things that you need to answer before a good answer will be found:

[ul]
[li]how much water would hit the wall?[/li]
[li]what will be inundated by the water?[/li]
[li]if the wall breaks, what gets flooded?[/li]
[li]Will the overflow and ponding put people at risk?[/li]
[li]will you be creating a new floodplain?[/li]
[li]Can you let the water through the wall, or let it pond behind, or will it flow around the end of the wall?[/li]
[li]Will erosion undermine the wall?[/li]
[/ul]

If you want to take the wall out of the equation, put in a screened open section or break away panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back