Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Freestanding Wall or Parapet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlastResistant

Structural
Jun 4, 2007
US
Hi all,

I have an existing 200 ft high apartment building with a swimming pool on the roof. There are 6' high cmu columns about 7 ft on center with glass infill panels along the longintudinal length of the edge of the building, and typical 4 ft high solid concrete parapets along the length of the transverse edge of the roof. The cmu columns are spalling due to heavy corrosion of the rebars and column repairs are necessary. My question is:

Do I use ASCE-05 Equation 6-27 (Freestanding Walls and Solid Signs) or Equation 6-24 (Parapets)for calculating wind loads on the glass infill panels and the cmu columns? It makes a big difference!

Thanks in advance for your answers and for not laughing at my question.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not laughing at your question because I believe there is a serious problem. While I am not familiar with the ASCE equations, it seems to me that you should solicit the advice of an experienced engineer to determine the nature of the problem. If we have to select one or the other, take the most critical option, i.e. be conservative.

BA

If it is at the edge of the building - parapet.

If interior from the exterior wall, a free standing wall.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back