Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

French material designation z5 cd4 s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chillwynston

Mechanical
Feb 5, 2007
GB
Hi guys..
I have a part I need to design yet I cannot tell what material it is by the designation. The other materials were written as z6 CNT 18-11 which I have found to be stainless steel grade 321, yet the flange material is stated as either Z5 or S5 CD4 S.... I can't find any equivalents on the web (prob there somewhere!!) Due to the nature of the job I expect it to be a stainless steel or a higher spec carbon steel. can anyone help me out here? thanks for listening!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you working with CODAP ??
I do not have it hier but:

Have you tried google under some french steel manufacturer like Creusot?? or german ones like Krupp ??

From a book I have they said: Z6 CNT 18-10 ( and not 11, please check yourself) is according to UNS numbering S32100 or 321

There is also a french association for pressure vessels engineer: or
You can also see Stahlshlussel ( keys for steel), it is multilingual

or START with : and enter for instance the number S32100

simply trying to help....good luck

Hi Cathargo, Thanks for the help.
With Z6 CNT 18-11 you are correct 18-10 is 321, yet I have seen the other designations for 321L and 321h which are Z6 CNT 18 - (number) so for design purposes I knew it would be some grade of ss321. As for the mystery flange material, it has been hand written and "z5 cd4 s" could be "25 cd4.5" maybe this maked more sense. As for Codap I am working with EJMA as I am an expansion joint deisgner yet I have a french customer. Thanks for your time and help!!

Z 5 CD 4 S doesn't make sence. The French code reads like this:

Z indicates a high alloyed steel
5 stands for the carbon content divided by 100
C stands for Chromium
D for Molybdenen
N for Nickel

If the code is preceded by the Z then the number following CD is the percentage. In this case this would mean an alloy with 0.05%C, 4% Cr and some Mo. The S indicates a higher silicon content.

A common material is 25 CD 4. In that case it's a low alloyed steel and the 4 following CD is a multiplier, giving 0.25% C, 1.25% Cr and 0,25% Mo. Although in this case the S, or higher silicon content doesn't make much sence.

To conclude: the denomination contradicts itself. I'm afraid you'll need to make an analysis of the material to be sure.

25 CD 4 is a carbon steel material similar to ASTM A 519

As "gieter" says if it can be a low alloy carbon steel 4% Cr, in that case is more safe to make a material analysis .

Luis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back