Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frequency of Tensile Testing by Steel Producers to ASTM A370

Status
Not open for further replies.

oceanpark

Mechanical
Oct 14, 2013
US
In our many american codes and specifications (ASTM or otherwise) where can I find how often a steel shall be tensile tested by the steel producer/manufacturer to ASTM A370? I.e. Once per heat number? Per thickness? Per day? Or at the steel producer's choice?

When I check (for instance) the A36 code and A370 code it does not give this information and I do not know where to look next.

I notice on the mill test certificates for the steels I am looking at there are test results for elongation and yield. So there is indeed frequent tensile testing to some extent.

The problem is that I am purchasing non-ASTM steel for my application which is allowed in the USA and Canada as long as the tensile testing being done conforms to ASTM A370. Furthemore I may have to perform tensile testing at my own expense and I want to know how often based on what code/specification.

Many thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear oceanpark,

Tensile test samples (at least one) are taken every heat in steel foundries. Hence, the "heat number" which is unique. Whenever a "heat" is made, the "heat number" follows, it could be even weekly, monthly, etc.

Regards.

Regards.

DHURJATI SEN

The general rule is one (or two) tests per heat number/size/HT batch combination.
But you won't find that in A370, you need to look in a product spec to see what is required.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

In our many american codes and specifications (ASTM or otherwise) where can I find how often a steel shall be tensile tested by the steel producer/manufacturer to ASTM A370?

The material specification and/or the PO or contract requirement should specify the number of tests to ASTM A 370.

A36 is governed by General Specification A6. A6 says mechanical test per heat. A516 is governed by PVQ General Specification A20 which requires as rolled material to be tested per heat and slab. Q&T material 2x per plate, coil material 3 tests per coil in specific locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back